Re: 2 Pack Enamel -- fixing painting defects

To: mgs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: 2 Pack Enamel -- fixing painting defects
From: SCHLINING.M.W-@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com (SCHLINING.M.W-)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 13:15:06 -0400
        Mike

        Just had a similar experience.  Mine was a dull acrylic enamel due to
        poor garage ventilation.  The paint suppliers answer to correct this
was
        either sand and recoat or clear coat with 2 pack.  Clear coat can cover
        a multitude of paint sins.

        But then I had these major runs in the clear coat, but the paint
        supplier already knowing my skill level told me how to fix them.  Use a
        single edge razor blade with the 3/8" of each end taped to prevent
        gouges.  Hold the blade perpendicular to the surfaces and use it as a
        scraper taking a little bit at a time off.  For the large (wide) runs,
        work on the edges of them only.  This technique worked well for
removing
        the drips.  Then go ahead sand and polish.  One other tip the paint
        supplier gave me is NEVER sand the finish closer than 1/4" from any
edge
        on the car.  You stand a chance of sanding through the finish at the
        edges.

        Marty Schlining
        57 MGA Coupe
        75 MGB