Re: A similar problem

To: mgs@autox.team.net, jberbig@mail.mcn.org
Subject: Re: A similar problem
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 14:55:32 -0700
> To: "'MG Group'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
> Subject: DCOE Carbs
SNIP
> replaced.  I've been looking at getting a DCOE Weber, but have two =
> questions:
>
>  - Is it too much for this engine?
>  - Can I get one cheaper than $650?
>
> j. michael
>

> I have had the same problem and am wondering if the Weber is compatible with
>the
> emissions control system for California, or does putting it on there mean
>having
> to disable the system?
>
> F. Velho Berbiglia

Good afternoon,

If you are driving a car that currently passes CA emissons tests and you chose
install the Weber or any nonfactory or CARB approved intake you must be
prepared to
reinstall the stock stuff for the emissons test. This is an every two year
issue,
so to some it's not a big deal. Just don't throw anything away. Many have been
burned by discarding essential parts, only to have to repurchase them later. :-(

Forewarned is forearmed. Know the laws and be prepared to meet the letter at
least.

Non stock engines (Datsun, Toyota etc.) can be installed and meet emissions
laws.
Get together with the local smog expert. If you get on good terms with the owner
or even the technician they can make a BIG difference in the degree of
difficulty
you may have. The smog guy can be your best friend in a pinch. My nephew and I
did
a small block Chevy in his 280Z. We checked FIRST with the Chevron station that
did business with for advice. He got us started on the right track and had ZERO
problems with emissions tests. There is an amazing amount of flexibility in the
system. You just need to check it out. I'm not the expert but I use them first,
before any wrenching. I have never missed an emissions test in over 20 years. I
have never asked for a bogus cert, I just get the guy to help as much as he is
leagally allowed to and have gotten the result that made sense.

Good luck,

Ken