Re: AQMD Crackdown?

To: TUSLER%MP050@mpa15ab.mv.unisys.com
Subject: Re: AQMD Crackdown?
From: TJ Noto <tjn@rahul.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 1996 15:13:11 -0700
TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.MV.UNISYS.COM wrote:

>   Well, my collegue from across the hall came over to share some information
> supposedly gleaned from an acquaintance in the car smogging business.
> In California, according to this, the Smog stations are now directly
> connected to the AQMD central computer, and any failure is immediately
> reported.  Any car failing cannot be retested at a smog station, but
> must go to a state-run referee station, of which there are only about
> four in So. Cal., so the waiting is interminable.
>   Anyone else hear anything of the sort?  Confirm or deny?

I recently was faced with the unpleasant task of smogging my girlfriend
Kelley's TR6.  The part about it reporting the results to the state-run
computer are true.   I watched as the woman entered all of the relevant
info (engine size, no. of cyls etc) in to the machine and then listened as
it dialed the computer and established the connection.  She was kind enough
to disconnect when it became obvious I was not going to pass (she said if
she didn't the results would get logged) so that I could take it home to tweak
it and try to clean it up a bit.

I eventually did get the car through smog and it passed with flying colors.

They give you a confirmation number which you must take to the DMV now, and the
DMW checks it against the number that was logged in to the computer while the
test was being run.

Sincerely,
TJ

--
TJ Noto         Palo Alto               CA      USA
http://www.rahul.net/tjn