CLUTCH HYDRAULICS

To: Ceicia@aol.com
Subject: CLUTCH HYDRAULICS
From: DMeadow@gnn.com (David Littlefield)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 22:41:29
I recently experienced exactly the same problem you describe in your
July 14th email.  My '62 MGA started having schizoid clutch
problems.  One minute the clutch wouldn't allow me to engage the
gears and then I would let the clutch up and stall the car because
it engaged too quickly.

I think my problem is the slave cylinder.  Several years ago I
bought a new master cylinder (when they were only about $75, now I
think they approach $300) and changed the brake fluid to silicone,
as well as replacing all the rubber bits, springs, etc.  All I did
with the slave cylinder was hone it out and replace the internals.
I think I'm paying the price for that now ($45).

I'm going to try the replacement this weekend and I'll let you know
how it goes.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
1962 MGA