Update: MGB Steering column refurbished;now the rack...

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Update: MGB Steering column refurbished;now the rack...
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 20:43:57 -0300 (ADT)
Well, I guess one person CAN reinstall a steering column, with a little
patience.  The refurbished,reinstalled steering column works like new!
No more rattling on gravel roads!   Yippee!

On a related topic, I found a 1964 MGB steering rack (it's not from the
parted out '73, as it has a grease fitting), that I have cleaned up a bit
and appears only slightly "loose".  There is some side-to-side movement
in the rod that runs to the ujoint.  It appears the end nut, which has to
come off in order to disassemble the rack, cannot be easily removed
because of a "permanant" locking of the nut.  Any suggestions?  What
parts will
it take to remove the little bit of play?  How "tight " does the rack
have to be?  Even though this early rack has a grease nipple, is it
filled with grease or 90 wt gear oil, which is in the '72's existing
rack? Can I install this '64 rack on my '72? (I should have asked that
question first!)

Thanks in advance.
   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html