Newbie Part 2

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Newbie Part 2
From: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 96 12:36:19 -0000
First of all, I want to thank those of you who responded to my first
message.

Now, I've had my 'B' checked out by a local MG restorer who told me that
the engine needs a complete rebuild... no problem, as I am looking
forward to this.  I've never rebuilt an engine, never had auto shop, but
I have done some minor work (replacing clutches, etc) in the past.  I
think that I do have the aptitude for it, and a friend that is MG saavy
and will help me.

As I read various catalogs, I marvel at all the stuff you can put in to
make your B better.  I would like to hear your thoughts on these before I
do (or don't do) something I shouldn't have.  And let me give you my
perspective on spending money.  I picked up this car for $650.  It needs
engine/drivetrain/front end/interior renewal, interior replacement and
paint.  I am willing to spend the money to make it go, and go faster than
average.

A) Cams- several of the catalos mention that an improved street cam will
increase performance AND economy.  I'm not looking for a racer, but would
like additional performance.  Recommendations?  And I guess with cams, go
lifters and other components?

B) No-lead head modifications- I'm certainly not wanting to use lead
additives.  But the kits that I find (Brit-tek and others) are around
$250 for valves, seats, guides, springs, gaskets, rocker shafts, bushings
etc.  Do I need all of that?  Would I be smarter to purchase a
remanufactured head with all that already in it instead of rebuilding
mine?

C) Carbs- Webers seem to be the choice for aftermarket carbs.  Sounds
like the sidedraft's are the better performers (although they may give a
lumpy idle), and the downdraft's that are between the sidedrafts and the
stock SU's.  Your thoughts?

D) Headers- "of course you'd be dull to improve your carburation and not
put some good breathers on".  The stock units look pretty flowing, but
I've been told that because they are cast iron, they are thicker and
therefore have restricted flow.  Is this so?  And if I put headers on,
should I go the extra mile and put a larger free-flow exhaust system as
well?  Recommendations?  Gotcha's?

E) Oil pump- should I rebuild, replace, or don't worry?

F) Coil- a coil is a coil is a coil?  Are there differences between
brands?

G) Electronic Ignition- I don't believe that I need to put every
performance item that exists on my car.  But if it really does improve
things, I'm all for it.  Should I stick to stock?  What about the Mallory
distributors?  Or the electronic jobbies that fit into a distributor as
opposed to the external box (ala Crane).  I would assume since most
modern cars are equipped with electronic ignition, that it does have
benefits.

Thanks in advance for your help.  And if you would like to see my 'B'
point your browser to http://users.aol.com/dbgaither.  It's not that
great, but it will get better.

Doug

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did...
         I said I didn't know."
                                          --Mark Twain