engine assembly tips

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: engine assembly tips
From: George G Curl <gcurl@tenet.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:32:13 -0500 (CDT)
We do this every other season unless something big goes wrong.  Lucky so
far.  Use a good engine assembly grease, and lube all metal to metal
parts(don't do as my son did and grease the back side of the bearings!)
Your carbs should be OK. check for leaks around teh shafts and repair is
necessary.  Your stock needles should surfice.  Remember that you change
from lean to rich depending on the needle. The lifters should be heavily
greased, the cam will run in during the first 15-30 minutes of use.  No
grease means $$$$$.  Check the shaft of your distributor, if it is not
worn out(no wobble) merely replace points and condenser with lucas.
You should also replace the rod bolts and head studes if money permits. If
picking between the two replace the rod bolts.  Air mailing a big end cap
through the side of a block is not covered by Air America.  Beside it
messes the track and makes others say rude things about you.
Take your time and enjoy your project, it should bring hours of enjoyment and
an entirely new vocabulary to your work area.
George Curl
64 MGB  56190SL