Re: tires again

To: jtilton@vt.edu, dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tires again
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 07:54:05 -0400
In a message dated 96-07-26 02:33:34 EDT, jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton) writes:

<< Subj:        Re: tires again
 Date:  96-07-26 02:33:34 EDT
 From:  jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
 Sender:        owner-mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
 To:    dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (The Warped Goat), mgs@autox.team.net

 The Warped Goat wrote:
 >>Since I have been unable to find the right size tires for my 68 MGB I have

 >>decided to go with the modern 185(70)14 tires.

Jay Tilton replied:
 >Don't try it if your wire wheel rims are less than 5-inches wide.  185
tires
 >are too wide for 4.5Jx14 wheels.  165SR-14 are not readily available
 >off-the-shelf, but can be obtained from places like British Wire Wheel.

Warped goat, Jay,

In November, I bought a set of four tires from NTW. Their Sport GLX 60,
175SR14's  are readily available for $40.99 each. Went back and even bought a
new spare.

They will also let customers into the service area, which is a requirement of
mine. You will want to make sure they know how to handle those wheels,
starting with how to get them off the car. No one seems to have the
recommended cones for holding the wheel while balancing, although, I have not
had problems with the quality of the balance using the "face" of the front
side, rather than the taper.

That big British Wire Wheel Wrench ™ that Victoria British sells is sure
worth it's weight in gold. I was about to make my own when it came out on the
market. Be sure to bring a roll of duct tape to cover those spoke nipples if
the original band has deteriorated and consider replacing the tubes too.

R. Johnson - Dallas