Re: Q: removing chrome

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Q: removing chrome
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 26 Jul 1996 11:23:58 -0500
In <1373743176-300790836@dutcosi.ct.tudelft.nl>, Danko Roozemond wrote:
>Hi all,
>I have a small question: How can one remove chrome from chromed parts.
>
>After trying (foolish ;) ) to remove the chrome by sanding that
>didn't work I am looking to other ways of removing the chrome. The
>only way I can come up with is sandblasting but I don't have such
>a device. So is there any other way to remove the chrome.

Take it to a chrome shop, if one exists in your region.  What they do
(and what you could do) is immerse the part in sulfuric acid and pass
current through it, which etches the chrome off.  Results in some
hydrogen embrittlement, but that shouldn't be a problem, since your
part is not structurally significant.

                        A. B. Bonds