RE: Rags on the Road

To: Ragthyme@aol.com (Ragthyme)
Subject: RE: Rags on the Road
From: RVBurkholder@city.surrey.bc.ca (Burkholder, Ross)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:39:57 -0700

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags' writes

.... and I've got two little problems leftover from the steering column
glitch. First, the horn sounds when I turn the wheel. Charming little
feature, that ... sort of like an audio turn signal for blind drivers.
Second, I can still move the steering wheel in and out about an inch or so.
While the car seems to steer fine, this sort of worries me. I don't know
much
about the steering column on these cars, and I'd like any advice that can be
given.

Corey,

I assume from this letter that the car has been in a front end accident and
from the symptoms you describe is sounds like the steering column has
been collapsed partially, as it should in this type of accident.  The column
is a
sealed unit on purpose.  It is designed to collapse once in an accident and
then
be thrown away.  I sounds like the body shop you went to took it apart and
tried to
stretch it out again.  Big Mistake.  From the symptoms you now have; horn
works
 when cornering; 1" play in and out, the body shop has really screwed it up.
 There is
either a C clip missing on the top bearing and/or the top bearing is not
secured
properly. The column is also most likely not the original length as well and
I prey
that the U-Joint is tight.
Do not drive the car until this is fixed.

I have a 70B' which is has the earlier style collapsible column.  It is easy
to replace
as there are three bolts on the inside firewall (beside the gas pedal), one
of the U-Joint
under the hood and three under the dash.  The rest are the philips screws
holding the plastic
around the column.  You can go to a wrecker or what we have here is a
private "Buy and Sell"
newspaper were you can find someone parting out an MG.  Take one from a car
that hasn't
been in a front end accident.  Good luck.

Ross,
70 MGB,   50 Merc