Re: Club Benefits

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Club Benefits
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 21:04:17 -0400 (EDT)
I think some people join a club for the wrong reason. I've watched a lot of
first timers at GOFs spending all weekend in the parking lot, polishing,
washing
and cleaning tire treads with a toothbrush.  All they want to do is win the
show, they don't bother socializing with the other members because all too
often
they think of them as "the competition".  These are the ones who rarely show up
for a second event.  If they win, they don't have to and if they lose they're
convinced that the show is rigged so only the in group can win.

Its a shame some people feel that way, because the real reason to belong is for
the social life. If you check out your own club you'd probably find it mirrors
what I find at the GOF's for the "T" Register.  Those people who show up all
the
time and participate are interested in having a good time.  For many of us the
cars are just a way of getting to the event. I have participated in rallys,
picnics, funkhanas, museum tours, scenic tours and BBQs. With the Register I've
had the opportunity to go to England, tour the Blue Ridge Mountains and parts
of
Canada, etc.  The club not only acted as my travel agent, it made sure I had
company.

I've made friends with people all over the globe through the club.  I've had
fellow MGers from Australia, South Africa, England and plenty of US states stay
at my home. I've become close friends with many of the club members and we
started out with only one thing in common, the MG.

Mike may have another read on this question - but this is from

Barbara
The real bleckstein