Re: MG Security

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Security
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 1996 14:44:24 -0400
I still contend, if someone wants your car badly enough, they'll steal it.

Heard from a friend of mine at a German auto show last Spring, there was a
new demonstration model Ferrari or Lambourghini which, so the promoters said,
was unstealable.  They offered the car as a reward to anyone who could pay
the DM5 fee and break into it, using any tools they preferred.

A fella came up, paid his DM5, produced a 4 kilo sledgehammer, and proceeded
to give the car a very firm rap on the front bumper.  Firm enough, in fact,
to set off the airbag and emergency electric door locks, which automatically
unlock when the car is in an accident.  The promoter wanted to exclude him
from getting the car because they asserted he was probably a professional.

I don't know if this story is urban legend that my friend in Germany is
passing off to me, or whether it actually happened.  I don't think it much
matters either way; the moral of the story is, don't buy anything too fancy
... just enough to scare off the average teenager or amateur.  I've found the
simple expedient of removing the negative battery terminal has always been
security enough on a B.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'