MGB door cracks

To: <lrw@aop.com>
Subject: MGB door cracks
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 20:19:44 -24000
I sent the same question to the list a month ago.  I got a few answers that
said people using the vent window to close the door did the damage, but I
don't think you would typically generate enough force to cause that kind of
damage.

The most reasonable explanation is that the vent window is misaligned to the
windshield/seal.  Every time the door is slammed [because it won't close
easily because the vent window is misaligned] the vent window gets shoved
outwards, stressing the attachment points, and shearing the door skin.

Some people have suggested re-skinning the door, but that's a lot of work for
one lousy crack if the rest of the door is OK.

I'm not a purist, so I plan to:

1) Drill thru the door metal at the bottom of the crack.  This removes a huge
stress concentration at the bottom of the 'v' of the crack.
2) Weld a doubler plate inside the door behind the crack
3) Make sure the door is properly aligned before installing the vent window.
4) Make sure the vent window is properly aligned when it is installed.
5) recheck the door alignment again after all the glass etc. is installed.

You want more fun?  You should see all the stress cracks in just about every
corner of my Spitfire hood!  It really makes you want to keep doors and hoods
aligned.

Regards,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire  '79 MGB