Re: 1275 - Short Block

To: "Philip M. Haines" <76275.1310@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: 1275 - Short Block
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 08:26:29 -0500 (CDT)
On 31 Jul 1996, Philip M. Haines wrote:

> After spending $800 on the installation of pistons and rod
> bearings,  I am rather unhappy with the results:
> 10-15 lbs. oil pressure at warm idle and what sounds like a
> rod knocking at cold start-up. So, I am looking for a rebuilt
> shortblock.  Where can I find a good one at a good price?
> This is for a '72 midget.  I am in Michigan.

I realize you didn't ask, but I'm curious.  The A-Series engine is tough
enough, and simple enough, that a rebuild, even one by a home mechanic,
should go better than that.  Are you certain that the correct-size rod
(and main) bearings are fitted?  If the crank was ground undersize, and
stock size bearings were fitted, this could cause your problem.  Also,
when you rebuilt the engine did you replace the oil pump?  And what about
the oil pressure relief valve?  If the spring on the pressure relief valve
is lazy, that could cause low oil pressure, as could a damaged seat or
plunger in the valve itself.

It's entirely up to you, of course, but if I were you I'd try to figure
out what happened with that rebuild.  Fixing what's wrong will almost
certainly be cheaper than buying a new shortblock, which would not only
cost you the price of the shortblock, but the $800 you already spent would
be gone.

My $0.02; hope this helps.

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@staff.uiuc.edu
[Note new address]

CCSO probably thinks I'm working right now.  What do you suppose they think
I'm saying?