Re: MGA problems : fuel gauge

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA problems : fuel gauge
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 96 20:30:27 GMT

On Tue, 30 Jul 1996 donmathis@lucent.com wrote:

> Speaking of fuel gauges, mine says full when it is and half full when it is
> down to about empty.  What would cause that?

>I dunno the cause, but I ('74 Midget) have the same problem.
>Full(indicated) = Full(actual) but 1/3(indicated) = Long Walk (actual)
>Anyone else?  I also wonder, since the gauge pegs itself beyond Full long
>before the tank actually is full, if there is a way to recalibrate,
>perhaps simply by adding/removing a resistor...

I've changed senders on a 73 Roadster and a 75 V8 and ended up with inaccuracy
at both Full and Empty.  Full is easy, there is an adjuster screw on the
voltage stabilizer but this has virtually no effect on Empty.  Even with the
sender out of the tank and on the end stop it still reads above Empty, so is
still drawing too much current.  I did try experimenting with resistors, but
since the gauges are consistently inaccurate decided it wasn't worth the
fiddle.

Paul H