Good Book?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Good Book?
From: Douglas Gaither <gaither@cybergate.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 15:29:39 -0000
Well,

Earlier this week I was perusing the shelf at Barnes & Nobel and found a
book I'd not seen before.  It looked good so I popped $20 and set down
for some reading.

The book is 'How to Power Tune MGB 4-Cylinder Engines' by Peter Burgess.
And by the looks of it, this is exactly what I've been looking for.  You
may have seen my previous 'Newbie' posts asking about possible engine
mods (cam, headers, carbs, elec ign etc.) worth doing during my engine
rebuild.

The chapters are not lengthy, but seem to eek with experience.  He has
justifications for his opinions in terms of theory and many tables of
measurements.  He also covers suspension, transmissions, lubrication &
cooling, and rolling road tuning.  The appendix is filled with formulas
and camshaft theory and other goodies.

As I've mentioned in my previous posts, I no mechanical guru, and this
book has been IMHO the best book I've purchased so far.

It appears newly published (1996) by Veloce Publishing and is part of the
SpeedPro Series.  I just recieved Lindsay Porter's DIY Resto and
Improving & Modifying your MGB.  The Improving & Modifying's first half
seems to be dedicated to those 'I like having a compass mounted on my
dashboard' types.  The second half is better as he talks about engine
mods.  But I can't help but be a little skeptical because everything is
better with an after-market replacement, and Moto-Build happens to sell
it.  The whole books seems to have been sponsored by Moto-Build and
Blaupunkt (good British brand).

Disclaimer, I'm just an enthusiastic happy-to-be-here MGB'r and have NO
affiliation with Peter Burgess (although if I did, I might still have
that $20).  Thanks to A.B.Bonds for the tip on the closeout sale at
Dragich Auto Literature, I got the last Bently Shop Manual for MGB's
today.

Doug

"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did...
         I said I didn't know."
                                          --Mark Twain