re: fuel guages

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: fuel guages
From: "David M Culgan" <culgandm@ggdns.gg.dupont.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 96 13:31:17 EDT
Don Mathis, Ph.D. wrote:
>Speaking of fuel gauges, mine says full when it is and half full when it is
>down to about empty.  What would cause that?

Mine does the same thing Don, and I had figured that the extreme lack of
linearity was due to a repair I made to the sensor. When I bought the car the
sender was dead. I opened it up and resoldered the wire that makes up the
variable resistor, loosing a bit of wire in the process as I recall (this was a
long time ago). But based on some very humorous posts from other enlistees re
diminishing MPG fuel economy over a tank of gas I was feeling good that maybe I
hadn't changed my sensor that much.

So...I don't know what caused yours to read the way it does, maybe its standard.
Or maybe another DPO was too cheap to buy a new sensor.
Dave Culgan
'66 MGB, etc.