Rear End Problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear End Problems
From: "Edward N. Burke" <newly@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 1996 15:32:37 -0700
I have noticed that when I go over various bumps in the road that rear
end has a tendency to swing or almost jump to one side.  The suspension
has never been overhauled and I was wondering if it needs to be.  Should
I look at the shocks?  I haven't checked to see if they might be leaking.
I also have a suspicion that the rear leafs may need to be replaced.  The
car is a 73 BGT and the back sits low.  I realize that these cars ride a
little rough however this hopping in the back when I go over bumps has me
wondering.  If the springs are replaced will this raise the rear end at
all?  If the springs are being done should a whole overhaul on rear
suspension be done too?      Newell Burke 1973 BGT