TD Transmission Rattle

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TD Transmission Rattle
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 1996 21:57:12 -0500 (EST)
I get a rattle (that I think is originating in the transmission) under hard
acceleration. I can subdue it by holding the shift lever tightly. I got some
advice here earlier that I intend to use, but just now I don't think the
problem is serious enough to warrant pulling the engine. I notice that the
rattle only occures after the engine has warmed up. This makes me wonder
if perhaps a heavier gear oil in the tranny might help keep the rattle down,
the theory being that the tranny oil is thicker when the the engine is cold.
I am presently using Valvoline SAE 85W140 gear oil. Does gear oil come in a
heavier weight? Is there an oil additive that might help? Is this a stupid
idea? The transmission is otherwise behaving nicely. Thanks in advance.

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
1953 MG-TD under restoration
1971 MGB