Re: SU Woes!!!

To: Dave Gropper <e89412@rl.gov>
Subject: Re: SU Woes!!!
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 1996 09:10:46 -0700
At 11:23 AM 7/30/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Here's the scenario...
>1. Took off the HIF4's, cleaned exterior, chambers
>2. Put them back on, new gaskets, blue gasket goo
>3. Can set for equal flows using UNISYN, nice idle when
>   hot.
>4. Front carb - lift dashpot 1/8th inch, get change in RPM
>5. Rear Carb - lift dashpot ALL THE WAY!!! no change for a
>   few seconds, then dies..
>6. Both carb dashpots appear to operate correctly  using
>   throttle cable...
>7. Checked needle and jet settings.. within specs!!
>
>Has anybody got any suggestions as to what I'm missing???
>Knowing my luck it's probably something basic..

Hi Dave,

I'm WAY behind in my mail (long story...)

I went through this very thing on my TC not long ago.  Have you had the
motor running under load or at high speed?  Does it miss big-time?  If so
then I theorize that you have a stuck float in the rear carb.  Lifting it
1/8" adds a little more are but no fuel, lifting it all the way adds a whole
wopping bunch more air and no more fuel, ergo stallsville.

On the TC when my brain finally uncramped I confirmed my diagnosis with a
gently tap on the float chamber with my handy micro-adjuster and all was well.

Cheers
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT