Transmission oil Seal Main Shaft nut Size?

To: rhbernin@ix.netcom.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Transmission oil Seal Main Shaft nut Size?
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 96 14:46 PDT
"Robert Berning" Wrote
>Subject: Transmission oil Seal Main Shaft nut Size?

>Does any one know the size of the tranmission main shaft rear nut.  It
>looks like 2 inches or bigger, I need to replace the oil seal and need to
>buy a socket.

The size of the nut inside the transmission output flange is 1 5/16in.
This is not a common socket in 1/2in. drive, so you may have to do as I did
and buy it in 3/4in. and use a 1/2in. to 3/4in adaptor. You may be
interested to learn it is also the size of the rear wheel hub nut and the
crank pulley nut. (that is if we are talking MGB!).

>Also whall I am there should i replace anything else?

Assuming you are doing this with the tranny in the car, you cannot get at
much else. If the tranny is out, then replace the input shaft oil seal.
YMMV, etc etc.

Bartholomew. Amdahl San Jose CA. Ususal disclaimers apply
           408-746-6361 Voice mail      FAX 408-746-8061
1969BGT;1974MGB;1979MGB; Restored 1976 MGB;1972 MGB daily driver