Re: Removing front, wire wheel hub of mgb, PLUS rear end conversion

To: Bill Mills <williem@nando.net>
Subject: Re: Removing front, wire wheel hub of mgb, PLUS rear end conversion
From: "G.J." <johnsong@is.dal.ca>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 19:59:48 -0300 (ADT)
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Bill Mills wrote:

> -- [ From: Bill Mills * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
> The jig in question was to remove the grease cap.  If you can get the grease
> cap off easily you will not need any other specialized tools (the treaded
> end of the grease cap is 7/16 fine tread.)

I finally got the grease cap off. I made a "rectangular loop of steel" ,
fastening the ends to the grease cap with a nut, passing metal bar
through the loop, and coming onto 'er with a hammer. Finally.

I'm having a hellava time separating the hub from the brake rotor. I've
soaked 'er with penetrating oil. I'll try again tomorrow.

On a related note:  Can the rear wire wheel hub from a banjo-type rear
end fit onto a tube type rear axle?  Is the only extra part I need, a
longer inner axle?  I assume the parts besides the hub CAN'T be used from
the bango axle.

Also, are new octagonal "knock offs" available for early wire wheel cars
(I believe early cars had coarse threads, and later cars had fine thread
knock offs, or vice-versa)

   / ______/        |   |  Greg A.M.Johnson           '72 & '66 MGB
 /   \   ___        |   |  Biology Dept.
 \     \_\  \  /\ __|   |  Dalhousie University
   \______   / \________|  Halifax, N.S., Canada
          \/
   * See the British Automobile Touring Association of NS Home Page!*

          http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html