Re: airpump thing ???

To: Wendelgass Manfred <WENDELGASS@tcernd1.villingen.tce.de>
Subject: Re: airpump thing ???
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 1996 14:34:58 -0400
Wendelgass Manfred wrote:

> Wisdom of list please give advice.

Manfred:

The airpump is a part of the emissions control system.  If I am not
mistaken, it's function is to inject a small amount of air (oxygen
included) as the exhaust valve opens.  This added oxygen helps burn off
any remaining fuel.

A recent article on the pump was featured in the AMGBA newsletter - the
Octogon.  You can probably get the article from the following address on
the internet:  <http://www.mgcars.org.uk/clubs/amgba.html>.

The result of their testing was that removal of the airpump - long
thought to be a way to increase power output - had no real benefit.

Many in this country have been removed.  If not for the proposed benefit
of increased power, than because the pump failed, and was expensive to
replace.  The pump in my car was removed by a previous owner.  In the
area of the USA where I live, this has not become a problem yet.  In
other parts of the country, my car could not be registered, due to this
equipment being removed.  I don't know what the laws are in Germany.

My advise is to leave the airpump alone.  No benefit will come from it's
removal.  Moss does show it as available in the U.S catalog.  The part
number for your belt is 434-100 for your car.

Best Regards,

Chris Delling