Improving Midget brakes

To: "'The MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Improving Midget brakes
From: "Brinkman, Gerry" <gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 96 09:09 EDT
Dave asks (regarding Midget brakes):

>  I'm looking to get reduce fade and much improve brake performance.
> What other solutions do you have to suggest?

To reduce brake fade I would do the following:
1 - change to a different brake pad/shoe - Repco Metal Masters have worked
great
for me in the past
2 - replace the stock rotors with a set of vented/slotted rotors - I have
seen them advertised in several places. I think I saw an advert in Hemmings
 - if not try any on the companies that sell go-faster-stuff for Midgets,
such as Winner's Circle, WeRace etc.

To Increase braking performance:
1 - change to a different brake pad/show - again Repco MetalMasters have
worked
great, although you may consider the Ferodo/Mintex pads - I think they are
the
DS11 pads. One word of caution. the latter pads need to be warmed up
slightly
before they come up to working temp. - I go in the habit of riding the
brakes for
the fist 100 yards after leaving for work in the morning (this is especially
true in
winter).
2 - consider the installation of a brake servo - I know that a popular
addition in England was to plumb a servo from a Mini into the Midget brake
system. I saw that
Mini-Mania is still selling the Mini Cooper brake servos.
3 - install the 4-pot brake calipers - never tried them and they are
expensive
4 - install the MGB/Spitfire conversion - I had a set on my Midget for
several years
and was very happy with them. The installation is not as straight forward as

indicated by Winner's Circle. You have to shim the calipers so that they are
centered relative to the rotor. You may have to grind a bit from the caliper
so that the caliper does not rub on the adaptor plate.

gerry