Re: Of Lamps and Lumps...Was: Re: Old Lucas Horn

To: "R.M. Bownes III" <bownes@emi.com>
Subject: Re: Of Lamps and Lumps...Was: Re: Old Lucas Horn
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 15:55:21 +0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Aug 1996, R.M. Bownes III wrote:

> Speaking of which, I occationally come across old Lucas bicycle lamps
> at antique shops and auctions. The prices seem a wee bit ludicrus at
> times ($125 - $500, depending on condition and age), but, just as a
> litmus test, how many of you would actually buy one?
>
> bob

Well, if I were attempting to restore my old Raleigh three-speed
(converted from Sturmey-Archer thumb shift to Bendix cross-bar-mounted
stick-shift) or my sister's Triumph (honest!) three-speed (still as
original), it might be tempting, it might be fun to "go Lucas" with the
lighting. However, at those prices, maybe it makes more sense just to,
er, leave well enough alone.

But then again, looking at prices for restored Schwinn Phantoms.... ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *

p.s. Anyone know where one can still obtain genuine Bates Dunlop tires
in size 26x1.75? :-)