Re: front end clunk now also rear end clunk

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front end clunk now also rear end clunk
From: hovisa@nando.net (Allan R. Hovis)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 07:39:59 -0400
> I'm glad you asked that one.  I've been having a little of the same problem
> with Rags since I rebuilt the front end, and can't trace it down.  It doesn't
> seem to affect the braking, steering or handling of the car in any way I can
> detect while driving it.
>
> My splines, too, seem fine ... but one never knows.  This is an area I'm not
> an expert on, and I'd appreciate anyone's input, too.
>
> Corey
> 75 MGB 'Rags'

I too know little about splines as all of my previous cars had disc
wheels but I did something yesterday to my 72 B that amazed me. I have
always had a clunk in the rear which the DPO said was from the rear end.
I have had this sound for the last four years and have even thought
about replacing the thrust washers in the diff to fix it. Lately, after
a brake job, I started to get the front end clunk as well. I could find
nothing loose anywhere and decided it must just be the pistons but
noooooo. I decided to really tighten the wheel nuts and pounded on all
four as hard as I could with my lead hammer and got them to go about 1/2
trun more all around. I now have a new car! No rear end noise, no front
end clunk. Unbelievable! Now for the big question, can I overtighten the
wheel nut? Can I break/hurt something? How long can this last? So far I
have driven about 30 miles and still no noise. Any input from those who
have been there done it before would be appreciated.

Allan R. Hovis
hovisa@nando.net