Scale MGBs (long)

To: Aaron Brooks <aaronb@cyberramp.net>
Subject: Scale MGBs (long)
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 20:50:41 -0300 (ADT)
On Wednesday, August 14 at some time, you wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>       I read your message that mentioned a couple of 1/24 models you're
>working
>on.  Where can I get scale models of MG's and other British Sport Cars?  I
saw one
>from Burango (already built) last weekend, but they wanted $80 US for it!  I'm
>looking for something I can build myself.  Definately an MGB Mk1, but I'll
>surely want to build more.
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  Aaron
>
>  ( Still miss my '79 Miget and '64 MGB )

(So would I!)

Hello Aaron! A company called Aoshima makes three versions in 1/24th scale
of the MGB. An aftermarket company called All American Models has released a
resincast MGB GT based on the kit, and it's superb!

Allow me to digress...(to those on the list who've seen this before, noncha
flame!) The Aoshima should be available at your local model car hobby store.
If not - ask 'em to order it for you. No hobby store? Then pick up a copy of
'Car Modeller' or "Scale Auto Enthusiast" - both will list mail order
copmanies that you can oder it from. It's a tad pricey - not your average
AMT kit price - more like three or four times! In Canada they sell for
between 45 and 60 bucks! But, they're worth every penny. The detail is
superb, the rendering is flawless it even includes photo-etched metal
octagons for the trunk lid and grille badge! The decals for the instruments
pass muster under a magnifying glass (which I've found somewhat helpful in
detailing...something about middle-age...)

The kit is available in 3 versions - a 1967 MK I roadster, what they call a
'Club Racing Version' - same kit, only with a hardtop, really nice
mini-light wheels, Sebring headlamp covers and other racing/rallying
'stuff'. The 'Urathane Bumper' version is still the same basic kit, only
with the rubber bumpers for front and rear.

Like a fool - I've bought, and built all three. If you decide to proceede,
send me an e-mail, and I'll get into some valuable tips on building -
fr'instance - as built right from the box - it sits way too high. I had to
experiment with a variety of ways to achieve the lower stance - and succeeded!

As mentioned, detail is amazing. The chrome wire wheels are the best molded
parts I've ever seen. Ditto the grille, interior and chassis (it's a
curbside - no engine - sort of like some 1:1 MGBs I've owned :-)!  )

As for the GT, All American Models
               22 South 16th Street
               LaFayette, Indiana
               USA 47905
               (317)423-4565
makes a resin-cast body of the GT. But that's all. And again, kinda pricey -
about 35 bucks. You get the body, the rear interior 'bucket', and the
windshield/rear window. To complete it - you need one of the Aoshima kits -
using all but the body, of course.

Also from All American - you can get a left-hand drive version of the dash
(the kit is right-hand drive). These are $3 each...and not bad! The dash
used in all Aoshima kits is of an pre-'68 dash. Those building '69 and
beyond - particularly North American versions - are going to have to
compromise the accuracy - 'specially on the rubber bumper kit. Nevertheless
- you can build a very accurate 1/24th replica of your MGB, relatively easy
with these kits & components.

With regards to other British sportscar kits - there are a few. Gunze Sangyo
makes a really nice Bug-eye Sprite in 1/24 (built one) as well as several
TR3s (haven't got those yet!). Tamiya has a wonderful 1/24 Mini Cooper - in
several versions (built a few). They also have a gorgeous Jaguar Mk II
saloon (have not got to it yet), and recently released a Morgan +4!
The AMT company has special offers from time to time for those who subscribe
to their 'Blueprinter' newsletter, and recently re-released an old Sunbeam
Tiger kit.

There's also a company in England called Wills Finecast that make a 1/24
white-metal roadster and GT kit. Very VERY expensive, but nice...and heavy!

Then, Dinky UK has released a few versions of the GT in 1/43 - one a Damask
version, and also a blue V8.

Whew. Still awake? Need to know more? Contact me direct!

Cheers from the Atlantic coast of Canada!

Terry "male modeller" Williams
'70 BGT  1:1 & 1/24
'68 roadster   1:1 & 1/24