Texas MG Register - Fall GOF - long posting!!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Texas MG Register - Fall GOF - long posting!!
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 21:06:41 -0500
Also see the Texas MG Register home page at:
http://rampages.onramp.net/~eastwood/tmgr.htm

Quoted here from the August 1996 issue of Texas Chapter News:

                '96 Fall GOF
                A Weekend at the Track
                by Jim Yule, Chapter Vice President

        The Fall GOF will be held on October 11-13.  Our base will be the
Holiday Inn (409) 693-1736 (reservations) located at 1503 Texas Ave. in
College Station.  Room costs will be a special flat rate of $51.00 per
night ($57.63 including all taxes). [Note - when you call, tell them
"Texas Register" ... that's how they have it in the computer.  Will save
several minutes off a long distance call.]  I have initially blocked 50
rooms for our group.  If we fill up the initial 50 rooms they will block
mor for us (if they have the rooms).  However, make reservations early
since Texas A&M is right down the street and the hotel will sell out.
        This GOF is different in that it will be centered around The Texas
World Speedway and Vintage Racing.  The exact race schedule is not yet
set, but we will be in a demonstration group (non racing).  We will not
race, but you can drive as fast as you want, pass on the straights, and
enter the curves as fast as you dare.  I have been on the track and it
is excellent.  Lots of flat runout space if you go off the pavement,
wide lanes and good surfaces.
        I have planned for our normal Saturday car show and lunch to be held at
the Texas World Speedway in between our track times.  This will be a
full day at the track for those of us (both men and women) who want to
drive.  For those who only want to attend the car show and have lunch, I
have set up a guided tour of the Messina Hof Wine Cellars and other
places of interest for Saturday afternoon.  Details will be in your
packet.
        We will drive the 1.8 mile TWS Road Course up to three times on
Saturday and three times on Sunday.  If at all possible I have asked
that we be in our own Demonstration Group, that is only MG's on the
track.  We will be limited to 40 cars on the track at any one time.  The
first 40 cars to register and pay the track fee will get the choice
driving times.  Each time on the track will be about 20 minutes, which
is the normal full vintage racing time.
        YOU ARE REQUIRED TO AHVE:
        1) A helmet (SA85 - made after 1985)
        2) Driving gloves (fire resistant or leather)
        3) Long sleeve shirt and long pants (fire resistant preferred)
        4) Fire resistant shoes
        5) Eye protection - goggles or face shield

        CAR REQUIREMENTS:
        All the safety equipment that the car originally came with is
required.  The car must have a tech inspection.  The CVAR will inspect
the cars on Friday from 4:30 to 8:00 pm at the Manor House, 2504 Texas
Ave South (409) 764-9540 and early (7:00AM) Saturday morning at the
track.  THIS INSPECTION IS MANDATORY TO DRIVE.  It will be a basic
inspection concerning steering, brakes, brake lights and safety
equipment.  I assume seat belts and/or shoulder harness are required,
even if the car did not originally come so equipped.  I strongly
recommend if you drive, belt yourself in.

        COSTS:
        Normally, CVAR charges its' members $185 for the two day event.  That
fee is in addition to the annual membership dues of $25.  I have talked
to them and they have agreed to allow us to drive for the cost of the
insurance, which will be $60.  This is as good a deal as you can find.
        I will have more detailed information concerning driving times, rules,
driving courtesy, flagging, safety precautions and so on.  This will be
exhilirating, but we must enter this with respect for the track, or
skills (or lack thereof) and respect for the potential danger.
        If you have questions concerning the weekend other than driving
requirements call me, Jim Yule, at 817-236-5512.