More Thoughts About Cars And Women (little LBC content)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: More Thoughts About Cars And Women (little LBC content)
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 1996 10:34:30 +0200
Hi folks,

Almost three weeks ago, I lent my daily driver to someone who  then got
involved in an accident in Germany with it
and crashed it beyond  economical repair. (Fortunately no one was hurt).

This left me without a car.

Now, I really need one for my job, I drive on average about 50.000 kms =
31.000 miles annually and I don't think my 1970 MGB is reliable
enough to use for that.  Apart from that, the B is too noisy and too unsafe
- and its luggage compartment is definitely far too small for me!

Perhaps I should explain now that over here in Europe it is usual that, when
you want to buy a car,  (at least from an European manufacturer), you visit
a car dealership, select a car, select all the options that you want (as to
engine, colour, equipment etc.), discuss the price, sign the order and then
wait  about 2..4 months for the car to be built and arrive.

(It is my understanding that this is different in the USA where it is more
common  just  to buy a car from the dealer's stock).

But now, these 2..4 months of waiting for a new car are not acceptable for
me, so I'm looking for an almost new  second-hand one.
Since I will be saving some money there, I'm looking at a car a bit more
up-market than I would have been buying new.

One catch is, however, that I really need an Estate (Station Wagon?) version
- and there are not too many good ones around.

Now it's the first time since 1984 that I will consider buying a used car -
I have only bought new ones since, both for the company and privately.
(except the MG, of course).

**** What a disappointment! *****

It's amazing to see how most cars of only 30 .. 36 months old (the most
recent ones around you can buy second-hand, normally)
have been abused and worn out (cosmetically) and obviously neglected by
their previous owners - damage to the trim, to the doors,
the seats, interiors, dashboard, holes that have been drilled to accommodate
accessories that have long been removed since -
and this in cars of a specific German make, not the cheapest ones on the market.

Having read the recent threads about cars and women, this really makes you
wonder:

* If those PO's treat their cars like this, how do they treat their women???

Any comments?

Bert