Subject: Re: MGB fresh air vent

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Re: MGB fresh air vent
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 96 19:53:58 GMT
>What holds the fresh air vent (in the center of the dash) in place?
>I need to pull it to get access behind the dash.

Ah, so you've reached that bit in all workshop manuals that says
"Withdraw ... before proceeding".

Two lugs just in from the front of the rectangular aperture, one top
and one bottom, at the opposite side to the toothed wheel that
controls the opening.  If you swivel the vent either way you can see
them.  It is possible to lever the lugs and prise out the vent from
in front of the car but you need four hands and there is the risk of
damaging the vent.  I tackle the left one first (on RHD cars) by
putting my hand round the back of the dash and squeezing the lugs
with thumb and forefinger, one at a time, whilst tilting the vent
into the car with the same hand (!) as one or other of the lugs
clears the lip on the dash aperture.  To prevent the other hand
feeling left out use a suitable implement to wedge behind
the flange on the vent to stop it popping back in again.  You might
also need to apply more pressure to the lug from front of dash
with said implement in order to clear the dash lip sufficiently.

This gives easy access to the other vent which is otherwise nigh on
impossible to get at due to the steering column and instruments.

PaulH
73 Roadster, 75 V8

PaulH
73 Roadster, 75 V8