air pumps

To: Ragthyme@aol.com
Subject: air pumps
From: donmathis@lucent.com
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:21:08 -0400
At 10:51 AM 8/21/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Nina:
>
>Does your car have an air pump?  If so, frequent backfiring when changing
>gears is often a sign of an air pump going/gone bad, particularly if the
>backfires are through the exhaust rather than the carb.
>

>Corey
>75 MGB 'Rags'

jThis reminded me of an article I read a year  or so ago.  It was about a
1920s Rolls Royce that had an air compressor near the generator that ran
when the engine was running.  A hose ran from it to the inside of the
externally mounted, spare tire.(mounted on the running board)  The price of
12 volt minature compressors is relatively so inexpensive.  I wonder if
anyone sees a need to mount one under the car with a hose going to say the
middle of the front and back bumpers and a switch on the dash.  To air the
tires you would only need a short 4' or so hose to attach to the other hose
and reach any tire.

When I grow up, I want to be James Bond......

Don Mathis,Ph.D.
LUCENT TECHNOLOGIES
donmathis@lucent.com
'61 MGA     '37 Bentley