Re: Blueprinting...

To: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Blueprinting...
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:29:46 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, David Littlefield wrote:

> Generally, the term refers to the practice of bringing the clearances in
> the engine to tolerances better than the factory could or would.
> As far as I know, this applies in one form or another to virtually every
> place in the engine where one moving part touches another.

  <snip..>

  Good description of what constitutes blueprinting.  Another
  technique that is popular is 'indexing' the crankshaft.

  When I dropped my engine bits off at the machine shop, the
  machinist asked me about a squillion questions:  Hottank?
  Shotpeen?  Nitriding?  Knife-edge?  Align-bore?  I was doing
  fine, until me asked if I wanted the crank 'indexed' when
  they reground it.

   :-?   "Ummm.. err, Yes, I want it indexed..."

  The 50ish machinist looked at me, knew I had no earthly idea what
  'indexing' was, and paraded me into the shop like an errant child
  where he explained the technique: regrinding the crank ensures the
  rod and main journal clearances are all brought back to spec (or
  better).  Indexing takes that a step farther and ensures that the
  stroke of each rod journal is the exact same length.

  I trusted this shop, however I learned a valuable lesson that
  day; if you dont understand, swallow your pride and *ask*.

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA