Re: Leather restoration tips, please...

To: "Glen R. Wilson" <railroad@itw.com>, rovernet@ganglion.anes.med.umich.edu,
Subject: Re: Leather restoration tips, please...
From: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 10:17:05 -0400
At 08:13 PM 8/22/96 -0400, Glen R. Wilson wrote:

> I would appreciate suggestions about restoring the leather
> upholstery in a '67 Rover 2000TC.
> I just want to restore it's SUPPLENESS by feeding and moisturizing
> it without doing any harm to the stitching.
>
>Any product recommendations?

Glen, I haven't seen any responce to your quary on the British-car
list yet, so I'll give you my 2cents worth.

A friend of mine is a furnature refinisher,  he swares by a product
called "lyxol".  He says it is an excellent cleaner and will provide
the moisture that the leather requires.  (I know of some car
hobbiests that say they can't stand the stuff - but no real explanations to
backup their statement.)

A product that I've used, and been told by others is "Saddle" soap.
It's been years since I've used this stuff thought.

A third product in lynseed (sp) oil.  This will provide moisture,
*but* be very careful and forwarned.  **It takes forever to dry!**
You will need towels to cover you seats to keep the oil from
bleeding out of the leather and into your clothes.  Years ago, my
dad and I took the Morgan to a show about 3 hours away from here.
So we cleaned the leather with the oil before we left.  After 4 hours
in the hot summer, we were pretty slippery when we got to the show.

If you received any other comments with better info  than what I've
provided, please forward me a copy.

Hope this helps some.

John

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire