Heat padding, Headers, Diffs, and Drums for Midget 1500

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Heat padding, Headers, Diffs, and Drums for Midget 1500
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@isocan.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 20:22:13 -0400
Well, no matter how many questions I ask I still get polite
answers, thanks to all.

  Here's a new batch, all about my 1975 Midget 1500.

  What sort of tool do I need to open the differential oil plugs? It
appears to be a tapered square hole, but is it really tapered or is
mine just rusted and crud-infested? Where can I get a tool to
open it up?

  My exhaust manifold is cracked, and one of the replacement options
was a header. Has anyone installed a header on one of these cars? I'm
not really interested in performance, but if it installs fairly
easily and replaces a broken part, I'd go for it. A little more free
flowing exhaust shouldn't hurt.

  Also, I was checking my rear brakes this weekend, and noticed that
when I remove the wheel the drum comes off into my hands with just
a tug. The Haynes manual says to "remove the drum mounting screws",
but I don't seem to have them. Should I have some screws holding
the drum on?

  The only screw I see is listed as "Setscrew" and it's
there but it's inside the drum with only a glimpse of it's head showing
through a hole. Is this proper?

  Finally, does this "heat padding" do anything? The passengers
feet tend to really cook in the Midget. I don't expect miracles,
but can this soften the feeling of sunburn on the legs?

--
                   Trevor Boicey - Computer Engineer
                1992 Celica GT (95% of the driving I do)