DPOs? re: 59 MGA

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: DPOs? re: 59 MGA
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 18:44:46 -0700
Boy oh boy, all this previous owner stuff. Enough already! These cars
are at least 16 years old and in the case of the most recent 59 MGA
postings almost 40. The senario of "who knows the history" of the car
is far more likely than the "purchase from original owner" is. I sold a
77' B car for $2,500 not so long ago. I had purchased it for $1,500 and
did an engine transplant from a 75 B, rebuilt the front end and
included a hard top upon resale. I obviously didn't make a profit here.
The 6 months I drove it and enjoyed is worth something though.
After I sold it I was questioned weekly as to "what I did with the air
pump?" or  "what happened to the hazard switch?" etc.The answer was
usually the same. "Hell if I know". I do know there were at least 3
other owners before I and that I never tried to deceive in any way
shape or form the buyer. To me in most cases these are "as is"
purchases and that's that. There's a real good chance the seller of
that 59 A had no idea the engine was a B engine. I'm finished now
thanks for reading. Look for my article "B Buying" in Septembers
British Marque Club News. If you don't receive this publication, shame
on you.    Safety Fast, David Deutsch