Early B tack

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Early B tack
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:35:04 -0400
Larry writes:

>... 'A's were fitted with a mechanical tach that is driven by a
>gear on the cam ...  the 'B' engine did not have this drive gear so
>... you guessed it ... the DPO utilized a 'B' tach ... IOW, installation
>of the 'stock' tach would require replacement of the cam.

Oh, contraire!  The so-called MkI B's did have a mechanical tach.  My '63
with its 18G engine certainly does--in fact, I'm d**n proud of the fact that
only my gas gauge is electric (least reliable, too).  I'm not sure when the
B switched to an electic tach, but I'd guess with either the 18GA or 18GB
engine.  So, it sounds more and more like the "18G" engine in the '59A is a
mid-production MGB engine, that also has a late head on it.  Did the "18G"
engines have smog pumps?

Where's my Clausager?

Will