MGA bumper kit

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA bumper kit
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 09:29:44 -0400
Peter Barlow writes:

>In a barn on the outskirts of town there is, among 10 or 12 other
>brit car classics, an MGA coupe with a "continental" kit on it.
>This is the extended rear bumper and externally mounted spare
>wheel.  The barn owner is curious as to whether this could have
>possibly been a dealer-installed option, or just an aftermarket
>item.  It certainly looks "correct" (as correct as such a thing could
>on the nice lines of an MGA coupe).  Has anybody else seen such
>a thing?

I have a dim memory of seeing photos of an A with just this sort of bumper
arrangement.  The photos are in one of the Brooklands/R&T collections of
contemporary article reprints.  As I recall, the article was not
specifically on the bumper kit but did include a picture of one.  Odd
looking, if I may say so.

Will "You know, I'm *sure* there was something important I was supposed to
be doing today" Zehring