Valve job questions

Subject: Valve job questions
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:13:55 -0400 (EDT)
 Hi all,

        My MGB's engine is currently in at the machinists being inspected
and, with Dick Burger's help, I've been putting together a list of parts
needed for the rebuild.  I've gotten just about everything figured out
except for the valve stuff.  I've got a few questions that hopefully a few
of you can answer for me.

        1) Should I go with a "no-lead head" kit?  From my initial survey,
           it seems that it's no more expensive than stock components.  Am I
           right?  Are there disadvantages to the "no-lead head"?

        2) Pardon my valve ignorance, but why does the no-lead head list
           "valve seats" as part of the package, but I can't seem to find
           any "stock" valve seats.  Are these something that aren't part of
           the stock configuration?  Perhaps I need to go back and read my
           auto technology textbook again.

        3) Is the rocker-shaft something I should replace as a matter or
           procedure?  The machinist said it isn't worn, but somewhere I
           seem to recall reading advice that you should replace it in any
           case.

        4) If I build a special head with two overhead cams, one with a
           stock grind and one with a performace grind, and electronically
           control which cam is operating at a given RPM and power load,
           will I get better performance?  (Sorry, that's not a real
           question.  I've been reading about variable valve timing and got
           a little carried away)

                                        Jeremy DuBois
                                        Programmer/System Administrator
                                        Thermalogic Corporation