Spin-on oil filter adaptors and oil leaks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spin-on oil filter adaptors and oil leaks
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 15:07:25 -1000
Someone mentioned problems with oil leaks from these adaptor. I concur -
two of I guess five of tyhe ones I have installed have leaked (seeped really)
from the face adjoining the block.

As far as I can tell there are two problems and a relatively simple soluition

a) poor quality finishing with non-planar face on the adaptor

b) you've over-tightened the adaptor bolts and distorted the alloy bracket
   (easily done)

The soluition is simple, don't use two gaskets, just clean up the face
before you (re)attach it.

I used 600 grit wet 'n dry, some WD40 and a hard flat surface (glass table
top in the hotel room at the six-hour race last year!). I used a firm but
careful grip, a figure 8 pattern and about 10 minutes (max) to end up with
an excellent, leak free adaptor.

I have since done this routinely before I even install the adaptor - none
of the facings were all that terric "out of the box". You can tell by looking
at the face after about 30 secs of rubbing...

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au