RE: Ottawa GOF TF mystery

To: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Subject: RE: Ottawa GOF TF mystery
From: rdonahue@holli.com (Robert J. Donahue)
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 14:37:09 -0500 (EST)
>Thanks for the reply. Now the TF mystery,.
>
>For over a year the TF has a strange problem. After redoing the head ( I had a
>burned valve and wanted a lead free head) the engine would break up on long
>straight runs of 4000 rpm when you increased the gas to make slight rises
in the
>road. The car pulls up mountains at any rpm even 4500 for long periods without
>problems. The break up only occurs on relatively straight runs with a
steady gas
>pedal followed by a slight increase to make the slight hill. What happens is a
>suuden loss of power and a chainy pinging noise. If you push in the clutch and
>let the rpms drop to idle, then release the clutch the car recovers with full
>power. The engine never dies when this happens, and if you push on( without
>letting the rpms drop), the pinging continues .
>
>I have rebuilt the carbs, changed the floats, replaced the seat and needles,
>changed the plugs , points, rotor, cap, condenser, and coil.
>
>Most believe it is fuel starvation, and I have changed fuel pumps and cleaned
>all screens and filters including the tank screen.
>

>Mike Leckstein

Mike:

Just a shot in the dark, but I had a fuel starvation problem on my TD
caused by poor tank ventilation. While driving, the engine would get
starved. Sitting in the garage the tank would develop a positive
pressure and go "whooosh" when the cap was lifted. I never was able
to find the vent hole others have mentioned. What I did find was that
the spring loaded cupped part on the bottom of the gas cap was frozen
by rust. I sprayed it with WD40 and worked it loose. The problem was
gone after that. Maybe your tank ventilation is not totally blocked
like mine, but blocked badly enough that the pump can't put out
its rated flow. You might try that hill with the cap ajar as
a quick check. If you try this, be carefull of fuel sloshing out!

Bob Donahue, Still Stuck in the '50s
rdonahue@holli.com
53 MG-TD under DIY restoration
71 MGB still in shop, 9 months and counting