32" shaft, was driveshaft confusion

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com (Denise Thorpe)
Subject: 32" shaft, was driveshaft confusion
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 1996 18:03:36 -0600

>To make the situation more complicated, I tried to install this same drive-
>shaft in my daily driver '67 (maybe '66) with the early rearend and a late,
>four-synchro, non-OD tranny and it was too long.
>
>I would have measured the driveshaft to find out what I have and therefore
>what I need, but I'm not sure where or how to measure something with a
>sliding joint that makes it change length.  So, the question is, is there
>a correct driveshaft for a car with an early OD tranny and a late rearend,
>and if so, how will I know one when I see it?

As someone else pointed out, the GT with overdrive and a tube type axle had
a 32" shaft.  This should fit the early roadster too if a tube type axle is
fitted.  They were listed, but pricey last time I checked Motorhead (in the
D.C. area), but I didn't know if they actually had one.  My roadster is
similar to yours, Denise, with 3 synchro and tube-type axle.  I am not sure,
but I believe my propshaft is 31 1/8, and it has not separated over big
bumps yet.

Phil Bates
67 MGB
75 Jaguar XJ12C