Reply: Advice on buying a 70 BGT

To: mkii@pobox.micro.ti.com
Subject: Reply: Advice on buying a 70 BGT
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 1996 20:10:22 -0700
Let me get this straight (don't you love letters that begin that way?).
You're going to buy a GT with a black interior and no A/C as a daily
driver in Texas?  You're a braver (and sweatier) man than me!  Be
advised that retrofitting a B with a/c can be done, but it's expensive.
A fellow there in Dallas (I assume that's your location from the TI
connection) has developed a method for doing it, including necessary
brackets, improved cooling system, etc.  He says parts are about $1500
if you want to do it yourself and labor is an additional $1500 should
you want him to do it.  His name and number have been posted before, so
I won't beat that horse unless someone asks me.

Barring that, I suggest you plan your route to work past the nearest
7-11 and buy a bag of ice to put on your head for the drive to work.  At
about $0.90 a bag it would cost only about $234 per year (assuming you
don't work weekends), meaning you could drive the car for almost 15
years without having to buy A/C!  Of course, you will still sweat like a
pig on the way home, but who cares because it is only your significant
other that has to smell you, and not your much more important boss.
(Maybe you could scam some ice from the TI cafeteria for the home leg).

Be cool!
David Littlefield
Houston, TX