Late B rear main seal question

To: mgs@autox.team.net, peck@ss1.digex.net
Subject: Late B rear main seal question
From: Joe Peck <peck@digex.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 17:24:02 -0400 (EDT)

hello again,

Seeking another answer to help with my 79 B engine rebuild.
Wehne I rebuild the engine on my 80 B I ended up with either
a rear main seal leak or a gearbox first motion shaft leak.
Seems to be the rear main seal, cause I have to keep topping
up the oil.  one of these days I pull the engine an replace
the seal.

Anyway, I'm now at the point in the engine rebuild on my 79
and this time I want to avoid having a leaky seal.  Do any
of you sages have advice on how to avoid a leaky rear main
seal when doing a rebuild?  Seating the gasket on the engine
rear plate, and so on?

I'm using a new seal, locking plate, etc, etc.  I've lightly
buffed/sanded the rear plate, with fine sandpaper.

BTW - the advice about using grease to hold the gearbox first
motion shaft shims in place worked well.  Thanks to all who
responded.  (I used assembly grease since it was at hand.
Someone suggested vaseline, but I figure assembly grease
was more fitting :-)

Thanks in advance,

Joe     '79 B <---- parts ----> '80 B