Re: Importing to Germany

To: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Subject: Re: Importing to Germany
From: palte@rt.el.utwente.nl (Bert Palte)
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 15:11:33 +0200
Hi Simon,

you wrote:

>     Does anyone know the process and requirements to import a car that was
>     first registered in the USA into Germany? The car was manufactured in
>     1974.
>
>     What checks, inspections and documents are required?
>
>     If the car has already been imported into and registered in the UK,
>     does this alter the requirements when importing into Germany?
>
>     Regards,
>             Simon

It has been almost two weeks ago since you asked this and if  I am not
mistaken, nobody has responded,
so I'll take that liberty though I neither live in the UK nor in Germany.

Both the UK and Germany are EU (European Union, formerly called EC =
European Community) member
states, as is Holland, where I live. The EU states form one large customs
union, which means that there
is free traffic of goods between the member states. [That is the theory;  in
practice,  all member states
retain the liberty to make their own laws. Notably there are large
differences in taxation].
Consider the below as a guide line. (I've imported a car once myself).

1. Normal situation: Importing a car.

If you bring a car from outside the EU here, a 10 % (of the car's value,
plus shipment) import duty is levied.
Then you have to pay VAT (Value Added Tax, ~ Sales Tax). 17.5% in Holland,
15 % in Germany,
this varies. The UK I think has 17% but I'm not sure.
In order to get the import document made up you need the car's documents (I
think this is called a pink slip?),
as well as an invoice.
Whether the car is actually driveable or not doesn't make any difference at
this point.

In order to be able to drive the car, you will need a registration (as you
will be stopped immediately
by the cops if you don't have any plates, unlike in California).

For this, the car has to be in good mechanical condition (i.e. it must
undergo a VERY comprehensive safety check) AND it should comply with the
regulations (checked at the same time, of course).
The latter means that you will have to change a few things , e.g. sealed
beam units are illegal here,
as are marker lights.  Your car needs red reflectors at the rear (MGB's have
them,
but USA-made cars generally don't).
There are some differences in the requirements between the EU member states
(e.g. in Britain they drive at the 'wrong' side of the road, thus other
asymmetrical headlights are
required) but generally for such an old car the requirements / adaptations
are nothing to worry about.
Generally speaking, the car just has to comply to the requirements of the
year it was made in,
that is, a 1974 MGB just has to fulfill the regulations as they were in 1974
,not those of 1996.
And, of course, you need the import document.

The cost of the registration documents also vary from EU state to EU state.
In Germany they will cost about $ 200, in Holland about $ 300.

Finally, some member states will levy a registration tax, notably Italy,
Denmark, Greece, Holland
(an example how it is in Holland: about 30 ...50 % of the total car value
for new cars, linearly decreasing
till 0% for anything older than 100 months).
(No registration tax in Germany or Belgium and many other EU states).

2. Other situation: You will be living in the UK or in Germany.

If you have owned the car (as can be proven with the car's documents) for 6
(3?) months prior to
moving to the EU, no taxes at all will be levied. (Similar to when you bring
your furniture with you).
You just will have to pay the cost of the registration documents (inspection
still required).

3. Other situation: You are just visiting. (Technically speaking, this is
not 'importing')

In that case you can simply drive around legally with your current (USA or
whatever) registration.
No costs, no paperwork, no inspection whatsoever, apart from maybe an
International Insurance Certificate
(a so-called 'Green Card', being totally different from a 'Green Card' for
the US)
that you can buy without problems at any port of entry (or money changers at
border crossings).
Third-party  insurance is mandatory all over the EU, but US insurances are not
generally recognized over here nor the other way around.
On no account should you let a resident of the country you visit drive the
car alone by himself,
as this will be considered evading taxes for him - very steep fines apply!

Going back to your question and situation #1: If a UK-registered car is to
be re-registered in Germany,
no import duties or VAT apply, but still the car has to be checked/inspected
again.

I don't know what it is exactly what you intend, but hopefully this gives
you some idea
of what is required.

All info from what I remember, but without thoroughly checking.

Greetings

Bert