Overflowing tubes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Overflowing tubes
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 1996 08:27:29 -0400
Fellow fiends:

Our most on high priestess asks:

>"Where does that overflow tube bracket go?"  Enquiring minds
>want to know.

Now, Denise seemed a bit upset at my post, and Mark J. seems sort of sorry
about the whole fiasco, and one other fellow was pretty clear that he was on
her side in the whole mess.  Okay, so a few people don't seem to be able to
take some harmless joshing.   I guess it must be the ozone.  [snicker]  Back
where I come from...  well, never mind.  I still don't think she understands
my answer to her prop shaft question  ;-) but then that's another posting
for another time...

Anyway, to this qustion.  I've made a study of this issue (after all, it has
far reaching implications!) and I've come up with the answer.  On my 18G
engine (bless it's heart, it still leaks from the rear main but it gets 30+
mpg on the highway in OD top!), the two overflow pipes are bent such that
they meet at the block midway between the two carbs, and are fixed to the
side of the block at a threaded hole into the block, close to its base (i.e.
close to the lip of the drip pan).  This is much the same as for the large
breather tube that comes out of the forward tappet cover...  Unless I don't
understand DT's question (say it aint so!), all of these breather/overflow
tubes must be attached to the block so that they will vibrate and pitch with
the engine.

Will "humble and loveable" Zehring