Re: Wire wheel trueing

To: "John H. Gindlesberger" <jhgindle@wcnet.org>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel trueing
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 1996 21:04:07 -0500
John H. Gindlesberger wrote:

> I noticed a fair amount of shimmy between 50 and 60 mph in my 68B.  I
> tried tightening the knock offs, but they were sufficiently tight.  I
> took it in to have the wheels balanced and found the rims were not true.
>  Is this something in the realm of the do-it-yourselfer?  If so, what's
> the process?
>
> John

Yes, you can do it yourself, with a lot of patience and your favorite
beverage.  Just don't overdo the beverage - you might end up with
egg-shaped wheels!  ;')  Seriously, check out the Scions of Lucas Tech
Page at http://www.team.net/sol/tech/truwire.html .  There is a really
good essay on the theory and practice of truing wire wheels.  Print a
copy to take with you when you work on the wheels.  I had completely
unlaced one wheel for cleaning and re-spoking.  Just wanted to prove to
myself that I could do it - probably won't do that again.  But truing
the ones that I _hadn't_ unlaced was no big deal.  Just don't try to
make them perfect - insanity is a short trip away!  If the spoke nipples
are rusted to the spokes, then the job is a lot worse.  Procure a spoke
wrench - Moss sells a good one.  Get a good rust busting penetrating oil
- Kroil or something like it.  If you have to use a torch to try to free
them, of course you would have to have the tire dismounted.  Get some
replacement spokes - chances of twisting or breaking are high if they
are very rusted.  You can get a used front axle assembly to mount on a
work bench, or if you don't mind sitting on the driveway, you can mount
the wheel on your front axle and spin it there.

Good Luck
Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX