oil leaks/erratic tachs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: oil leaks/erratic tachs
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 17:15:59 -0700
Hi guys,
  I discovered another source of oil leaks on my '65 MGB today.  I
couldn't figure what was happening since the oil seemed to "seep away"
without leaving the same puddle each time. Talk about "marking
territory"!  I found that one of the hoses to the oil cooler is leaking
oil only when it is under pressure and I guess I need to replace the
hoses and probably the cooler as well, since they tend to self-destruct
when the hose connections are worked on.  I am losing two quarts every
500 miles.

   About the erratic tachometer and ignition problems: Do you have the
early induction-type tachometer?  Mine goes crazy whenever there is a
problem in the primary ignition circuit.  The last time that happened, it
was due to water condensing in the distributer.  I carefully dried out
the distributer cap and plate, and the poor running and erratic tach
problem disappeared.  Think of it your tach as as a primary ignition
warning monitor; mine isn't very good as a tach.

  Lew Dove, slave to Nigel Cudgel, resourceful '65 MGB tourer