Re: Bad Coil? & ensuing confusion

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Bad Coil? & ensuing confusion
From: woodcomp@vt.edu (Christopher A. Lenth)
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 12:46:11 +0600
>On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, David Moore wrote:
>
>>      Last night while crossing the Dumbarton bridge my BGT stated to run
>>      poorly and when I looked down at the gauges the tach was fluctuating
>>      wildly.  The car quit running just after clearing the bridge.  I did
>>      the customary laying of hand, check connections of sparkplug and coil
>>      wires, look under distributor cap.  The car then started and ran fine.
>>       The tach read correctly as well.
>>
>>      Because the tach picks up off the coil, I wonder about the coil.  It
>>      is one of those Lucus sport coils less than 18 monthes old.
>
>The tach picks up from the >output< of the points >to< the coil.
>
>I'd suspect a loose wire from distributor to coil.

 I had a similarly aged Lucas Sport Coil fail on me last winter;  Car would
run fine for intervals of decreasing length, interrupted by poor running and
eventual quitting.  After sitting for a short while, car would run fine, but
for a slightly shorter period than previous.

Kind of along the same lines I just discovered a bad coil wire (6 mo old
Bosch) that had been causing my car to run poorly at idle and occaisonally
die.  I had thought the problem was carburetor related but when turning the
car over after it quit one evening I spied with my eye a spark jumping from
the coil wire to the firewall.  Never would have thought it!  Switched out
the coil wire and car immediately ran beautifully!  Also, in replacing the
coil wire, I seem to have fixed the goofy fluctuation that my temp and fuel
guages were exhibiting.  Does this make sense?  I know that the tach and
guages are on the same fuse, and with the tach connected to the coil..... ?

hmmmm

chris

and another totally unrelated thing;   what could cause a motorcycle to
destroy spark plugs?  Front plug on Vtwin looks fine but won't fire after a
few hours,  Spark to the plug is strong continuously but something has
caused 2 plugs to fail w/in 2 weeks under light riding.  Coincidence?