Re: What kind of Transmission Oil for TD?

To: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Subject: Re: What kind of Transmission Oil for TD?
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 10:38:46 -0700
At 07:23 PM 9/16/96 PST, you wrote:
>MGT series cars use 90wt.  gear oil, MGA series uses 30 wt oil.
>This is what the factory called for, and I don't think that you can go
>wrong following that advice..
>
>Randy Kegg

Hi Randy,

You're almost right.  The TD and TF have the same transmission and, as you
said, the recommended lube for the gearbox is 90W.  The TA, TB and TC have
an older design and the factory recommended lube is 140W for gearbox,
differential and steering gear.   In my reply to Bob's query about gearbox
lube I hope I didn't sound like I was recommending he use 140W (though I
realize it may have sounded that way).  What I was trying to get across was
that Red Line synthetic oil is reportedly much better than straight  gear
oil.  I picked up a jug of 80W-140W Redline yesterday and careful reading of
the label indicates this lube is specialy formulated to improve gear change
across a wide band of temperatures while providing the required lubrication.
It is designed specificaly for gearbox and differential applications, road
and track.  I hope to get it into the gearbox this afternoon and will report
on the results.

Usual disclaimers apply.........

Cheers