Re: Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC

To: TheSkinny@aol.com
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Freeze plug for MG TC
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:07:24 -0400
In a message dated 96-09-24 13:30:52 EDT, TheSkinny@aol.com writes:

<< Pressure raises the boiling point, so what is stopping a T-series owner
from converting to a pressurized system? >>

The radiator is not designed to hold the pressure.

On my MGA, when I changed the pressure cap from 4 psi to 7 psi I started
having problems with leaky solder joints.  A really good craftsman type
fellow in a radiator shop disassembled the radiator, carefully cleaned and
resoldered all the joints.  I run the car pretty hard trailer towing,
autocrossing, rallying on country roads.  In about a year the seams started
to open up again and the core was also leaking.

While replacing the core (4-row this time) we used the newer VT type core
(more flow capacity), left 1/4" extra material all around the top and bottom
flanges, reformed the tank flanges to be vertical, then bent the core flanges
over the sides of the tanks to make a lap joint for soldering.  The unit then
withstood pressure testing to 25 psi.  Also replaced the 1" deep water filler
neck with the newer 3/4" deep neck so as to have a better selection of
pressure caps available, and installed a colant recovery bottle.

Two years and 32,000 miles later, 7 psi cap, cools better, no problems.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA